Friday, July 17, 2009

A Closing

Welcome to Day 9. All but two or three final interviews have been filmed at this point and for this, I am thankful. I find myself grossly overtired and not feeling myself physically. I knocked off at noon today after filming was complete in Santiago Zamaro. The local folks were most grateful to the team who have been there doing construction this week and brought them all handmade gifts. I too was gifted with a beautiful hand woven bag, why, I do not know. I have made it a point to be as invisible as possible these past many days in an attempt to be as least intrusive and reaction forming as possible. Still, I suppose they knew I had been there to help in some capacity and so I was included. I genuinely dislike receiving anything on missions as I still struggle with receiving things like grace. I suppose He continues to shape me through the giving of people who can ill afford to give anything. Another spiritual puzzle.

I am filming some time lapse sequences as I write to capture some “other-worldy” shots of clouds forming and moving over one of the volcanoes. Hmmm, I continue to be bit by something here that I cannot see….icky. It is however leaving marks on me and so I know I am not imagining things. Hmmmm

I am not sure what to say about this experience as it nears its functional end. I will put together a slide show for the teams tonight, finish two interviews, and then spend the next two days vanishing into the crowds of Antigua. This is not Haiti and it is certainly not Africa in its level of poverty or suffering but the poverty is horrific and painful.

It is unnatural in God’s Kingdom that children should suffer the lot of poverty dealt by the hand of chance that places them in these places. It is equally unnatural that this suffering should continue in the presence of the Church, in that collection of those who claim Christ as Lord and Savior. I have a true friend who is a Pastor who is helping me to overcome my frustration with the Church but I remain unsure as to whether it is something to overcome or something to drive me on. Can or should we accept the apathy of the Church’s response to the suffering? Indeed, Jesus said the poor would always be among us but surely He did not intend His words to be the loophole to duty it has become.

I went to the boy’s orphanage yesterday and interviewed the director. She shared the horror
stories behind the anger and hopelessness these boys endure. One boy had his face half burned off, the abusers had done nothing to seek care for him. She told me that what they continue to pray for are some Christian men to step forward and form lasting relationships with them. I plan on challenging some of you at home with this. Perhaps consider this the first of many challenges. Too many of us “pray for direction” as long as that direction leaves us un-wanting and comfortable. But we are the very people charged with afflicting the comfortable as we comfort the afflicted.

I am angry as hell about what I have seen here and other places across the Third World. It is unnecessary. It is against the will of our God. It is an abomination within His creation.

1 comment:

  1. Your pictures and blogs from the past few days have really touched my heart. I have seen a small glimpse of how terribly spoiled and selfish we Americans are. I have no choice but to bow my head in prayer to ask Gods forgiveness and seek his will for me in the area of mission support. God Bless you and Diana for the work that you do.

    ReplyDelete

Please comment in love and respect for all.