Saturday, July 11, 2009

Day Two: Filming Begins in Santiago Zamora

Filming began today at a small school and a home where volunteers were pouring a concrete floor. The man and woman at the house were so overwhelmed they wept. I can tell you no eye was dry. The filming went well and I was able to shoot about 3 hours of tape over 10 hours of lots of the Mayan children. They are beyond description. Anyone who knows me knows I love children. These kids are just another wonderful variation on God’s greatest gift. I truly wish I knew the language….ugggghhhh. I should probably sign up for classes in my free time…..Seriously, I will learn this language.
I filmed several women making tortillas over open wood fires in their homes today. I was a bit nervous about asking to come in as I truly never want to be obtrusive in this work. Their welcome was uncommon and genuine. Filming inside took me back to filming in Embulbul. The women were so gracious and fed me tortillas hot off the fire. Delicious.
The area is beautiful with many fruit trees, mountains, coffee growing everywhere…. excellent coffee, and yes, I will be bringing you all some home, especially my bunch at the workplace. The mountains and volcanoes are lush green and the tops are covered most of the day in mist and clouds. I imagine that a corner of heaven will look like this place minus the poverty and suffering.
I met some real heroes of the faith today and sat quietly, humbled, and just listened to them speak. I listened to a man speak about his work in spite of the threats against his life and found tears in my eyes as he talked. It is good to feel small in that way. It is good to know that God’s hand is so firmly placed upon this place, this mission, and Shawn and Damaris’ ministry. Their love for the people here is tangible and the people’s love for them is visible and abundant. It is I believe what God calls each of us to live.
It is odd that, no matter where I travel in my faith journey, God in His infinite Grace and Mercy continues to nurture my learning with those who have moved far ahead of me. I wish I had the words to tell their story today, I am certain it will take weeks to put it together.
It is raining her tonight and the water is pouring into the open courtyard of this place. It is as if I have never seen the rain. I am sitting in the kitchen listening to Bolivian folk music that was written and recorded by a man who works here. Set against the backdrop of the rain, it is surreal.
Had a really good talk with the mission leader here today about our faith, missions work, and the film project. As always, I begin the trip worried that I will be unable to capture enough to create something beautiful for God. A day later I wonder how I will ever manage to edit the tape that will be shot here. I have not taken any stills yet but will begin shooting early next week. I miss Diana for many reasons, but in that context, I miss her natural eye and ability with the still cameras.
Jesus said to His apostles, “Peace I give, My peace I leave you. I do not give as the world gives. Do not worry, do not be afraid. “ A beautiful verse to close a most beautiful day in Guatemala.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment in love and respect for all.