Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Day Six: Santa Maria de Jesus

Welcome to Day Six. The shooting was excellent today; good lighting, good weather, and the people appeared to be very “okay” with my camera in their business. The teams were very cooperative and thus, I was able to shoot two hours of good footage. I am fairly confident I will have way more than enough material to do a decent job.

The teams appeared to work very well in the locations I filmed today, which by the way, was back in the town of Saint Maria de Jesus. It is a wonderful place in spite of the abject poverty and I can easily imagine Diana and I returning to just chill.

My adventurous side took me solo to a market today to film some cultural reels for the project. The colors and sounds in market are truly carnival in nature. I sat on a corner of the square and watched the dance of people. The crowds there move like the tide, back and forth, full purposed, moving in rhythm with each other. I wish you could see it with me. Remove the poverty and I am unsure as to who is living better.

I see a lot of Coke signs around and their product in market stalls. I am planning on campaigning them to give some back to the community. I imagine a You Tube assault will be needed. Consider this… a fortune 100 company worth billions selling sugar water to people who can scarcely afford it. They do this by inundating the area with marketing signs painted on the sides of buildings, walkways, and marketplaces. Who wants to bet they can be shamed into doing so? Perhaps corporate America has transgressed beyond shame.

It is an old story in developing countries. (Beware the soapbox cometh) Big corporate western interest come into the back corners of the world who have not yet been inculcated with the “Hey, don’t you think your life would be better with our products? You too can be like the big guys.” Seriously, Diana and I saw Coke ads in the Sub-Saharan desert.

Oh well, I am going to hit the Dirty Jobs guys up to come on mission with the teams next year and really get their hands dirty. I bet they will.

Peace out, pray for justice, pray for peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment in love and respect for all.