Sunday, July 12, 2009

Day Four: In Through the Out Door

Welcome to day four. The day was spent assisting several of last week’s team in departing for home and assisting the new team at the airport. Another odd observation….Again, at the airport, tons of people but no one fighting, yelling, cussing, shoving pushing, etc. Nothing like O’Hare or any other number of nightmare airports in the U.S. Children were minding their parents…hmmmmmm….odd.
The team sorted through an unbelievable amount of donated goods. I would estimate several thousand pounds of medical and humanitarian aid arrived with the teams. Praise God. It is as I believe… if governments could or even wanted to address the problems of poverty that day would have long ago occurred. It is good to see ordinary men, women, and children doing extraordinary things. To steal a line from one of our Pastor’s, “It’s a Gideon thing.” (Okay, so now you know I am actually listening in church Chris)
The micro-community that is this current team appears to be well on the road to forming. I have taken on a roomy, Mark, who is an Oncologist from Madison. In the short time we have talked, we have lots of things in common including the point that both of our sons are engineers. Wicked cool.
There will be a big team meeting tonight to lay out the week. Tomorrow we will be touring all the work sites for the week and I will most likely spend the day doing some still photography at each site as I believe this will be my one shot to accomplish anything still. (Pardon the embedded metaphors)
I am most definitely looking forward to visiting the orphanage in the morning and meeting some of the kids. The children are, as they are everywhere, beautiful here.
Forgot to mention, I had a cool ride in a chicken bus today...not sure what to say about that (using my best Forrest Gump voice)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment in love and respect for all.